Is Fishing An Expensive Hobby? What Gear Do I Need?
Are you excited about fishing? Before starting with a new hobby, it’s essential to research the gear you’ll use, where to get it, and approximately how much it will cost you to start throwing your bait for some exquisite finds. It’s also essential to know which equipment is suitable for beginners and which tools are reasonable and worth its price.
Before heading out and jumping into the boat where you’ll cast your fishing rods, there are factors to consider for you to enjoy this newfound hobby fully. First, you’ll need to have the right outfit or best fishing apparel to match the weather. What you bring with you is also vital. You don’t need to get the big guns yet, of course, as a beginner. Knowing you might need a license to enjoy a smooth-sailing fishing experience is also essential. Let’s dive deeper.
The Best Fishing Apparel is the One You’re Most Comfortable With
Where do you plan to go fishing? Will you go saltwater fishing on an open sea or nearby beach, or will it be freshwater fishing on a swamp or river while camping? It is important to know which of these two will you go and spend hours idly waiting for a catch to bite the hook.
Saltwater fishing is more likely the adventure-type fishing experience because there are factors to consider before heading out, such as the wave size, wind direction, and overall weather conditions in that area. On the other hand, Freshwater fishing is a chill-type activity that beginners can start doing right away. Newbies can do this with or without the use of boats because you can stand on the shore, throw your cast far away, and wait for some bite.
Whichever may be the case, you’ll need comfortable clothes while fishing. Some might even suggest getting a waterproof jacket for maximum experience. For me, the right fishing apparel should be composed of waterproof pants, a quick-adaptive fishing shirt, and a reliable fishing hat to protect you under the heat of the sun.
Check this out:
Fishing Hats – Approximately $5-$10
These hats or headgears are beginner’s best friends against the sun’s damaging rays. When we go fishing, we constantly pray for fair weather, not gloomy, starting-to-feel-the-rain-coming weather or a super sunny, bright-kind-of-day weather. Having fishing hats can protect you from both. The shade fishing hats provide the relief your head needs when there’s no nearby tree or camp available. It is essential to stay protected from the sun’s heat, especially when starting your fishing experience or bringing your family over for a fishing trip.
Sun Hats for Men Women Fishing Hat UPF 50+ Breathable Wide Brim Hat
Weight: 2.72 oz
Dimension: 11.7 x 11.4 x 0.6 inches
Best Used At Outdoor Activities such as fishing, hiking, and beach bumming
Description: Cimkiz Outdoor Fishing Hats has always been doing its best to provide each esteemed customer with quality products and satisfactory service. It is equipped with sun protection using its 360° wide brim to block up to 99% UVA/UVB sun rays. It also has a mesh design that induces a cool breeze and a built-in sweatband to keep your head cool and sweat-free.
- One size fits most.
- Stylish and trendy design makes it an all-around outdoor apparel
- Lightweight and space-saver
- Grip on head is dependent on the user’s head size
To know more about this product, click HERE.
Fishing Shirts – 25$ to 150$ Depending on Size
As stated above, it is important to have something comfortable. Fishing shirts should be made of breathable, soft-fabric texture, with the right amount of thickness to let air quickly go through. Also, it’s essential to look for UPF protection to even out the effects of direct sunlight on our skin. We all know that there’s a harmful consequence when we stay under the heat for a prolonged period.
Columbia Women’s PFG Bahama II UPF 30 Long Sleeve Fishing Shirt
Weight: 8.8 oz
Dimension: 10.9 x 7.2 x 2.3 inches
Best Used For Fishing and camping
Description: Columbia Women’s PFG Bahama II with UPF30 is the perfect fishing shirt for ladies who share the same passion. These shirts come with long sleeves that can be folded and used as a regular shirt to match the prevailing weather while fishing. The Columbia’s PFG Bahama II for women is designed with button closure for maximum comfortability. Cloth care with this fishing shirt won’t be complicated. Toss it in your washing tub, and you are good to go.
- Made up of 100% Nylon fabric, perfect for comfortable fishing
- Contains materials essential in blocking UVA and UVB sun rays and helps prevent sunburn and skin damage
- Multi-pocket design and sleeve roll-up capabilities for a comfortable fishing experience
- Fabric wrinkles after a few washes
- The fishing shirt might be heavy for some
For further details on Columbia Women’s PFG Bahama II with UPF30, click HERE.
Columbia Men’s Bonehead Long Sleeve Shirt
Weight: 9.91 oz
Dimension: 13.43 x 11.26 x 2.13 inches
Best Used For Fishing and camping
Description: Columbia Men’s Bonehead Long Sleeve Fishing shirts are designed to conquer the sea (or the river) while waiting for a catch. This fishing top is made from imported 100% cotton and with a button-down closure. The Columbia Bonehead Long Sleeve fishing shirt has a relaxed, lightweight fit that lends comfort to casual or activity-heavy days.
- Made of cotton fabric for a nice, comfortable, light fit for you
- Buttoned, long-sleeve shirt with multiple pocket systems for easy access to fishing gear.
- Stylish and can be used even on casual occasions.
- Make sure to check the size guide for a better fit. Sizes may vary from standard measurements.
- Sunlight protection might not be sufficient because of its materials.
Interested in buying the Columbia Men’s Bonehead Long Sleeve Fishing Shirts? Get it HERE.
Fishing Pants – 20$ to 50$ Depends on Gender
Fishing apparel should be designed for protection against direct sunlight. Fishing pants are made for the same purpose, plus protecting your lower extremities against the water. Having these types of clothing prepares you for any action related to fishing. Sometimes, there are instances that you need to go deep to your knees to find a good catch. You’ll need something to protect you from getting bitten instead of you catching some fish.
Men’s Outdoor Quick Dry Convertible Lightweight Hiking Fishing Zip Off Cargo Work Pants Trousers
Weight: 12.31 oz
Dimension: 14.1 x 13.3 x 1.65 inches
Best Used For: Trekking, Fishing, and Camping
Description: Men’s Hiking/Fishing Pants has a convertible, quick-dry, water repellant function made of 96% Nylon and 4% Elastane. It has an Omni-Shade UPF 40+ Sun Protection perfect for the outdoors. It is considered men’s cargo pants with slant pockets, velcro-closure back pockets, and cargo pockets. Fishing pants for men use durable ripstop water-repellent (DWR) fabric with a triple-stitching built, sturdy and flexible to ensure maximum performance in the field and stream.
- With a belt already included to fit the pants to your waist properly.
- The multi-pocket storage for your gear and gadgets is a great feature
- Convertible pants let you remove the lower part of the fishing apparel if the weather is a bit humid
- Needs a couple of stitching for more durable fishing pants
- Just be careful on choosing a size and use your sizing guide for reference.
Click HERE to know more about this item.
Little Donkey Andy Women’s Stretch Convertible Pants, Zip-Off Quick-Dry Hiking Pants
Weight: 0.71 oz
Dimension: 11.81 x 9.45 x 1.18 inches
Best Used For: Trekking, Fishing and Camping
Description: Women’s zip-up convertible pants are all-weather, convertible zip-off pants that are lightweight, soft, and comfortable to wear during outdoor activities. When conditions change, switch from pants to three-quarter ankle pants or shorts in two quick zips. Articulated knees and just enough stretch let you move comfortably. Little Donkey Andy Women’s Pants for Fishing is made of silver fiber that can quickly dissipate the skin’s temperature to give you a relaxed feeling.
- Stylish yet functional and has a trendy design that performs its intended use well.
- With UPF 50+ provides maximum protection against sunlight
- Comfortable to wear and zippers don’t harm your skin, has multiple pockets for storage.
- Fabric materials might not sustain against woods, and sharp materials
- Makes some distracting noise while trekking
Want to buy the Little Donkey Andy Women’s Pants for Fishing? Click HERE
Fishing Jackets – $30 – $160 Depending on Quality & Size
This fishing apparel is an optional part of the usual get-up for spending time waiting for a catch. These fishing jackets are typically used for the rainy season or windy weather. It is essential to look for something lightweight but waterproof in finding a beginner-friendly fishing jacket. Remember that this fishing apparel isn’t used for the entire duration, only if there’s intermittent rainfall or cold breeze.
Columbia Men’s PFG Storm Jacket
Weight: 13.44 oz
Dimension: 13.58 x 9.92 x 5.39 inches
Best Used When: Rainy Weather or Snowy/Windy Season
Description: Columbia Men’s PFG Storm Jacket is a perfect shield for torrential rain and strong gusts of winds while you are fishing. Its imported fabric materials are specifically designed to provide waterproof protection but let air flow continuously. The squall-ready jacket makes it perfect for water activities such as fishing which can help you stay dry and keep you going.
- Lightweight, foldable and portable. Fits a big pocket when not in use.
- With a hood for head protection against rain and strong wind
- Quality materials with advanced technology that ensures maximum protection that keeps you dry
- Be sure to check the sizing guide for this item before purchase to avoid inconvenience
- The printed design might tear off with prolonged use
Do you think Columbia Men’s PFG Storm Jacket suits you well? Click HERE to order.
Columbia Women’s Splash A Little II Rain Jacket
Weight: 14.4 oz
Dimension: 18 x 13 x 4 inches
Best Used When: Rainy Weather or Snowy/Windy Season
Description: Columbia’s waterproof and breathable technology is superb and always ahead of the competition. Just like their Splash A Little II Rain Jacket, this fishing apparel will protect you from strong wind and heavy downpour of rain with Columbia’s signature and breathable, fully seam-sealed materials. It is made from 100% polyester shell, and 100% nylon lining gives you warmth while conquering extreme weather conditions.
- Waterproof capabilities are top-notch and superb, with added features such as a hood and adjustable cuffs to prevent water from penetrating.
- Stylish and trendy with a two-way zipper that you can still use for casual and outdoor trips
- This Fishing Jacket is durable and can last up to many years of continuous use.
- Sizing can be tricky. Be sure to follow the sizing guide for a better fit
- A bit heavy and not made for dry and humid weather.
Click HERE to know more about Columbia’s Splash A Little II Rain Jacket.
The Best Fishing Gear For Beginners
Now that we are done listing beginner-friendly attires for fishing, It’s about time to know your fishing tools and gear before heading out and casting your rods. There are plenty of items you can bring while fishing. However, as a beginner, you should start with the most basic equipment that you should have. Aside from knowledge and understanding of this new hobby, some items essential for you to start fishing will be listed below and their price range.
Fishing Bags and Boxes – 30$ to 150$
Fishing bags and boxes are where you put your precious rods and tools at. Fishing storage bags are long-sized, specialized bags explicitly made to place your fishing rods together and have the comfort of transporting everything you have all at once when moving to another fishing spot. On the other hand, fishing boxes sometimes come with wheels for easy transport and have compartments or divisions to separate small tools that you’ll use.
Rodeel Fishing Rod Bag – 56$
Weight: 1.9 kg
Dimension: 61 x 7.9 x 5.9 inch
Fits: Your Beginner Rods and Most of Your Tools
Best Used When: Going far and bringing all the fishing gear together
Description: Looking for ample storage space for your fishing rods? The Rodeel Waterproof Outdoor Rod Bag is made to fulfill your fishing vessel requirement. It comprises water-resistant 600D polyester material coated with a hydrophobic PVC layer that repels water. Transporting your fishing gear and equipment will be as smooth as ever with this storage bag.
- The padded shoulder pads are non-slip for hassle-free carrying.
- Fishing rods are secured tightly inside with its tie-down point feature
- Larger rods can still fit because of the rod hole on top of the fishing bag that serves as its extension
- Too Spacious
- Might tear easily with external force
To know more about the other details, click HERE.
Elkton Outdoors Rolling Fishing Tackle Box – $150
Weight: 26.5 pounds
Dimension: 15.7 x 18.5 x 9.6 inches
Fits: Gear and tools for fishing, some rods maybe
Best Used When: You have more budget and want efficiency.
Description: The Elkton Outdoors Rolling Fishing Box are durable, waterproof and convenient fishing vessels for your equipment. You can use this fishing box to conveniently transport your fishing gear using its wheel mechanism and roll it to your next spot. It has a lot of compartments and trays to accommodate whatever you’ll need for getting your fresh catch.
- It has a backpack strap as well if the terrain doesn’t permit you to roll over your trolley fishing box
- Durable and shock-proof because of its padded division and walls.
- Lots of storage and tray compartments. You can bring most of your gear or tools with you, and up to 4 rods on the side
- Rods aren’t that secured unless strapped together with the trolley handle
- Though there are lots of tray compartments, it lacks the further depth to put your space-consuming tools.
To get the Elkton Outdoors Rolling Fishing Box, order it HERE.
Flambeau Outdoors 6383TB 3-Tray Fishing Box – $28.00
Dimension: 16″ L x 9″ W x 8.25″ D
Fits: Fishing tools, baits and hooks
Best Used When: Fishing water is nearby camp
Description: Keeping everything safe all together, the Flambeau Hard Tackle Boxis a friend to those who want to start fishing as a hobby. There are plenty of compartments and storage divisions to hold your fishing tools, baits, and hooks and separate them from each other for easy organization. It consists of a 3-tray configuration that fits your fishing accessories. The Flambeau Fishing Box is great for beginners in fishing because of its non-complicated storage, just enough for your basic fishing needs.
- Removable divider enables you to place bigger-sized lures and tools
- Multi-purpose and can serve other uses such as a toolbox/first aid kit when not in use.
- Affordable and budget tackle box perfect for beginners
- There’s a limitation when it comes to load capacity and it cannot hold more than its intended weight limit
- Made of plastic so durability and product strength depends on how you’ll use it
Interested in owning this tackle box? Get it HERE.
Fishing Rods and Reels
There are plenty of beginner-friendly fishing rods and reels, and don’t scare the newbie in you away. Why is it essential to have matching fishing gear to your level of expertise? Simple, as you progress on your fishing hobby, specific rods can accommodate your fishing skills. But as of now, being a newcomer in the fishing pastime, a basic rod and reel should do. Remember that the first thing to learn is the basics. Whichever tools you may have and even though you have advanced rods and reels, you’ll only get frustrated if you don’t know the fundamentals in casting your line.
Shimano Trevala PX Spinning Fishing Rod – $180-$200
Weight: 13.62 oz
Dimension: 71 x 7 x 4 inches
Best Used When: You want a ready-to-use fishing rod that has a great and outstanding performance
Description: Shimano is a game-changer when it comes to giving you quality gear for your hobby, especially in fishing. The Trevala PX Fishing Rod from Shimano is a friendly fishing rod suitable for beginners. The Shimano Trevala PX is integrated with a quality rod blank (the core pole of the fishing rod) that is characterized by increased overall strength and superb control while casting. It gives you excellent resistance as well on jigging and fighting a fish. Jigging is a fishing technique that uses a weighted hook with an artificial bait called a jig.
- Beginner-friendly. The Trevala PX is usually a “buy-and-cast” type of rod, with minimum setup required.
- Comfortable grip using an EVA foam material that provides sturdy and durable grip
- Lightweight, durable, and well-made rod with quality materials
- Check reel-seat compatibility to accommodate your desired fishing distance reach
- Can’t catch big-sized fish as the rod blank might break, suitable only for casual fishing
Overall, the Shimano Trevala PX Spinning Fishing Rod is a perfect fishing tool for beginners with user-friendly features and durable material build. It is also an outstanding fishing rod for jigging techniques, which is widely used today by modern fishing enthusiasts. You have a choice of what reel seat will best suit your fishing requirement, and you are good to go.
Interested in trying the Shimano Fishing Rod? Click HERE for more information.
St. Croix Rods Premier Spinning Rod – $160
Weight: 4.8 oz
Dimension: 78 x 3 x 3 inches
Fits: Beginner Fishing Enthusiasts
Best Used When: You want stability and a sturdy fishing rod with a stylish design
Description: The St. Croix Spinning Rod has unparalleled strength and durability, thanks to its premium Carbon Construction partnered with the Fortified Resin System. The handle that comes with it is made of premium-grade cork for a comfortable grip on your fishing rod. The St. Croix Spinning Rod comes with a medium to heavy rod power perfect for fishing anytime, anywhere.
- The material construction is lightweight, so it’s easy to transport wherever you are going
- Great for outdoor fishing, may it be saltwater or freshwater fishing.
- A perfect go-to fishing rod for an everyday casual fishing experience
- Be sure to check compatibility on the reel seat to avoid any inconvenience and misuse.
- A bit pricey in comparison to its features
The St. Croix Premium Spinning Rod offers a far-distance reach and a sensitive fishing experience that is enhanced by its stylish and lightweight rod blank design. This is a beginner-friendly fishing rod that creates a wonderful fishing experience when in use. Even though it is lightweight, it can definitely bait big-sized fish.
To know more about the Spinning Rod from St. Croix, click HERE.
Shimano Vanford F Spinning Reel – $230-$370
Weight: 155 grams
Description: The Vanford F Series of Shimano Spinning Reel might be the best spinning fishing reel for your rod. The Carbon material construction of this beginner fishing reel is enough to guarantee its durability and strength. With a much smaller body size, the CI4+ body construction gives you an improved lightness and rigidity compared to other spinning reels. Partnered with a MagnumLite Rotor and a Hagane Gear, the Vanford F Spinning Reel from Shimano provides you a long-lasting smoothness and pleasure when you cast your line.
- Outstanding performance especially when paired with a quality fishing rod
- Smooth gear operation and proper casting technique can provide you a far-distanced bait at one cast.
- Quality and durable materials give you a worry-free fishing experience thanks to its carbon material construction and high-quality gear
- A bit pricey in compared with other fishing reels
- Make sure to manage your expectations when it comes to the reel’s reach.
Is this the perfect spinning reel for your fishing rod? Click HERE to get more information.
Okuma Helios Lightweight Spinning Reel $102
Material: Aluminum, Stainless Steel
Weight: 318 grams
Description: The Okuma Helios Lightweight Spinning Reel combines advanced design with stainless steel bearings. It features a cyclonic Airflow that quickly dries out your reel when it becomes wet, minimizing corrosion possibilities. It also comprises eight high-performance bearings and one rolling bearing for a smooth cast.
- An elliptical gearing system feature that keeps the line balanced on the spool
- Affordable fishing reel that doesn’t break the bank but still produces quality performance
- Casts smooth and easy-operation with the help of its installed quality gear
- A bit heavy due to its material construction
- You may have a problem with handling the fishing rod with this reel installed especially if you are right-handed.
Is this fishing reel the perfect match for your rod? Click HERE for more information.
Other Fishing Essentials to Consider:
To have a “smooth-sailing” fishing experience, you may want to consider having these items to have a worry-free camping and fishing trip over the weekend with your friends or family.
How do I carry my fishing rods in my car? Do not worry anymore about how you’ll transport your oversized fishing rods. There are plenty of racks that can accommodate your fishing gear and equipment without any hassle.
Front Runner Fishing Rod Carrier
Front Runner manufactures a wide variety of racks, so it’s not new to them to produce a roof rack that can accommodate your fishing gear. If you are fond of casting your bait frequently, getting a Front Runner Fishing Rod Carrier is the best option that keeps your fishing equipment safe. It’s also worth noting that these crossbars are corrosion-proof, credit to their material construction that goes the same with the Slimline II Roof Rack.
- Suitable to a wide variety of off-road vehicles because of the compatibility feature from Front Runner Outfitters
- Easy to install and easy to operate roof rack mechanism due to its “Hold Open” feature
- Can accommodate whichever size your rod is and can even mount your skis or snowboard.
- If you don’t want to install a roof rack on your vehicle, this isn’t for you
- A bit pricey because this is a full-system roof rack with crossbars
Interested in getting the Front Runner Fishing Rod Carrier? Click HERE.
Thule Rodvault Fly Fishing Rod Carrier
Thule is another well-known brand for its quality racks that hobbyists use, whether for overlanding, camping, or fishing. The Thule Roadvault Fly Fishing Rod Carrier is explicitly designed to mount your rods over to your vehicle. This fishing rack protects your fishing equipment with ease with its fully-protected and compact design RodVault.
- Made specifically to mount fishing rods
- Easy loading and unloading of fishing equipment
- Safe and secured gear storage
- Limited to two rods only
- Always refer to usage guide for proper handling
To know more about Thule Roadvault Fly Fishing Rod Carrier, click HERE.
This one isn’t considered a gear, but sometimes it is vital to consider having this ready in case that you’ll need it. Do I need to have a fishing license? Being a beginner in the fishing hobby, it is crucial to have the basic knowledge and understanding of what you’ll do in different scenarios, and this fishing license may help you get through with that.
There are types of fishing licenses available in the United States of America. These fishing licenses are dependent on your purpose, residency, and credentials. And since this is a beginner’s guide to fishing, what you’ll be needing is a Recreational Fishing License.
Anglers, or fisher folks, need to decide where they will throw their cast upon. Will you be fishing on saltwater or a fresh body of water like lakes or ponds? This, too, is essential as some states offer both; some have one only.
It is important to know where you will cast your lines and wait for hours for a catch. Plan out your fishing trip carefully and get the necessary license depending on the state you’ll go fishing. Some states don’t require them, some do. So better check with your local governing units and research the need for such.
The Final Question Is: How much will I spend to Start my Fishing Hobby?
If you diligently consider our recommendations in starting your fishing hobby as a beginner, here is the most probable cost that you’ll need:
|Fishing Gear||Cost (Approximate Price)|
|Fishing Bags and Boxes|
|Fishing Rods and Reels|
|Other Fishing Essentials|
|Fishing Racks||$400.00 (optional)|
|Fishing License||$50 (budget only)|
The prices placed above aren’t the exact amount you’ll spend to start fishing. It is a rough estimate and will still depend on your requirements. So basically, you’ll need to spend a little more on the main fishing gear itself, the fishing rods and reels, to get the most out of your fishing experience. Everything else will be dependent on how you’ll be needing them.
Summin’ All Up
Fair enough, when you are a beginner and want to start anew on this fishing journey, it is important to invest in gear and equipment with the utmost quality, minimally considering its price, especially on the fishing rods and reels. Weigh the pros and cons of these tools and what you’ll get at which price point.
It is also important to get something that you’ll be comfortable having, such as the fishing apparel you’ll be wearing. These aren’t just made for style, but to serve a deeper purpose, to prevent you from harm or negative effects from staying too long under the sun, or against anything in the wild.
Fishing is an enjoyable hobby when you have the right mindset. Having the patience to wait for too long might challenge you and make you quit, but understanding the basics of fishing, you’ll experience frequently fighting for the fish that you caught. Know how to properly utilize your tools and equipment and take advantage of its capabilities, and you’ll have the most delicious dinner in your camp.
What are your thoughts? Share some beginners’ tips and techniques to help some newbies in fishing.