5 Excellent Platform Roof Racks To Use With Your Sprinter Van For Work Travel, Road Trips & Adventures
Sprinter vans have become over the years some of the preferred vehicles for different uses: work, transportation, and even overlanding and camping. If you are the owner of a Sprinter Van then you probably love going on road trips with friends, family or travel groups, and you know how useful and flexible this car can be.
Traveling whether that’s for work or passion is a full on experience that requires preparation. Sometimes you need to carry lot’s of work gear such as ladders and equipment. In other cases you’re traveling to escape within nature, feel the freedom and connection you get from the outdoors.
As said, all of this requires preparation and the right equipment. And what better way to do so than with the best aftermarket mods you can get? Certainly, it will make your traveling more easy, comfortable and sophisticated.
Whether you own a Freightliner, Dodge, Mercedes-Benz or any other Sprinter Cargo Van, then your beloved Van may be in need of an armor. Or better said, a Platform Roof Rack or Crossbar.
Of course, you might feel overwhelmed when attempting to purchase a Roofrack or Cross Bar as there are a lot of options available in the market. However, we decided to come up with a list of the best racks out there.
As experts in the off-road and overland industry, these are frankly the highest quality, most durable, comfortable and reliable roof racks you will find. Most of them will carry anything you need, from surfboards, cargo carriers, kayaks, bikes, ladders, accessories, to even roof top tents.
You might know some of these brands, as they are giants in the overlanding industry that will forever change, for the better, your way of traveling.
This is the most affordable option in the list. This Heavy Duty RLTF 2 Bar Roof Rack is a solid, durable and reliable rack system for any off road vehicle, as well as for your work and travel needs.
As it is Heavy Duty, it can hold up to 220 lbs of weight, which is ideal to carry heavy objects such as roof top tents, cargo carriers, ladders, accessories, or gear. It does not require any drilling, as the RLTF system is attached to a set of factory trackmounts already on your vehicle.
It fits to your vehicle providing a sleek and table roof rack system that is also easy to remove and has a high profile design, ideal for highly curved roofs.
- Removable and easy to install
- Strong and built to last
- Stylish and suitable for light duty off-road use
- Compatible with a wide range of accessories
- MERCEDES BENZ Sprinter 144 2dr Van High Roof 10 to 18
- DODGE Sprinter 144 2dr Van High Roof 07 to 09
- DODGE Sprinter 170 2dr Van High Roof 07 to 09
- MERCEDES BENZ Sprinter 170 (incl. Extra Long) 2dr Van High Roof 10 to 18
- VOLKSWAGEN Crafter 2dr Van MWB (High Roof) 07 to 18
Made in the USA, Prinsu Design Studio is an Idaho based company focused in manufacturing high quality and durable platform roof racks. With an excellent functionality, this Prinsu Platform Roof Rack will give an awesome variation to your rig and take your overlanding adventures to a more professional level.
A Sprinter Van is a vehicle that will transport nearly anything. However, if modified or outfitted with the right cargo carrying roof rack, this vehicle becomes even more useful.
It has a Limited Lifetime Warranty and a static weight capacity of over 500 lbs. It will carry roof top tents, cargo carriers, gear, ladders, accessories, kayaks and more.
- Sleek and low-profile design
- Abnormally low wind noise for a roof rack
- Integrated wind deflector to reduce wind noise
- Integrated light bar mounting with wind deflector
- All aluminum made and powder coated black
- Very lightweight and completely modular in layout and use
- Designed to fit the form of each vehicle it is mounted on
- Crossbars have integrated “drop points: for easy accessory mounting
- Optional ladder available
If you’re looking for an affordable, yet durable and reliable rack, then Thule’s TracRac Van 3 Bars is precisely what you need.
Thule is a Swedish brand known worldwide for specializing in building high quality and ultra-durable roof racks. The quality, durability, flexibility and design in truly unbeatable and out of question.
The TracRack Van 3 Bars is no exception. These are aluminum constructed van racks that have 750 lbs carrying capacity, unlike any other. In addition, it is really lightweight, weighting only 47 lbs, which means that it will not have a big impact on your fuel economy, making it even more affordable.
- Aerodynamic and quiet due to integrated wind deflectors
- Easily installs to the rain gutters for quick installation
- Protect different size loads with the aluminum load stops that adjust to the full width of the van
- Accommodates curved roof vans with the shims that help level the load bars
- Durable, corrosion resistant aluminum construction
Aluminess Products Inc., is another overlanding brand proud to offer products that are “Made in America”. For more than 12 years they have established a solid reputation for manufacturing high quality aluminum products for trucks, SUVs, and vans.
Designed for strength and utility, Aluminess is one of the brands that will offer you the most options for your specific Sprinter Van. These are lightweight roof racks that will allow full performance out of your suspension and prevents wear and tear on your alignment, brakes, and tires.
Plus, no need to worry about rust!
Aluminess will offer you a wide range of options for different types of Sprinter Vans:
- Dodge Promaster Roof Rack (2013-2020)
- Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van Roof Rack (2003-2006), (2007-2013), (2014-2018) & (2019-2020).
The Slimline II Roof Rack is a high performance and top-quality roof rack, that will surely take your adventures to a whole new level. Made by Front Runner, a well-known brand in the overlanding industry, they manufacture some of the most sophisticated, durable and reliable platform roof racks.
Made to last and withstand extreme conditions, this roof rack has a 660 lbs static load capacity and will carry anything you may need, from surf boards, kayaks, bikes, cargo carries, gear, accessories, to even roof top tents.
Drilling is required for installation, making it a safer setup.
In addition, depending on what size you want and your specific Sprinter or Conversion Van, Front Runner has a Platform Roof Rack just for you:
- Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack For Dodge Sprinter Van 2007-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II 1/2 Roof Rack For Dodge Sprinter Van 2007-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II 1/4 Roof Rack For Dodge Sprinter Van 2007-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack For Freightliner Sprinter Van 2007-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II 1/2 Roof Rack For Freightliner Sprinter Van 2007-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II 1/4 Roof Rack For Freightliner Sprinter Van 2007-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack For Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van 2nd Gen (906) 2006-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack/Tall For Mercedes Sprinter 170”/L3/LWB W/OEM Tracks 2006-Current
- Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack For Volkswagen Crafter
Let’s Wrap It Up:
The main goal of this article was to provide you some insight into 5 excellent different types of platform roof racks for you Sprinter Van or Sprinter Conversion Van.
All of them offer different features and solutions for your rig, and your choice should be narrowed down depending on why you want the rack, what you will be mounting on it and where you will be using it.
Purchasing a rack for the top of your vehicle is something you need to give a amount of thought, evaluate factors such as load capacity, build, as well as what type of Sprinter Van you own and how you want to modify it.
Remember, all of these roof racks are a good add for your van, but one might be a better one than the other, depending on what you’ll be using the for and how much you want to spend.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate in giving us a call: 844-200-3979 or shoot us an email at email@example.com
ALSO, if you would like to share info, pictures or anything roof top tent or overland related, please feel free to do so Click HERE to Join Our Facebook Group.